Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Is it real?

I was just listening to "I don't feel like Dancing" by The Scissor Sisters. The first time I remember hearing that song was in our hotel room in Mechanicsburg PA back in January when my company training class was there for the Vale Estimating Program. We had such a blast.

By the end of the trip, I was sorely craving a homecooked meal. We ate out every night (obviously, since we didn't have a kitchenette in our room) and went out every night as well. It was tough on my body, but again, it was a great time.

But here's the thing. Mechanicsburg PA. You've never heard of it I'm sure. I never had either. It's a town just to the west of Harrisburg, which is no metropolis either. But that's where we congregated and stayed for two weeks, at the Holiday Inn on the Carlisle Pike.

I find the chances that I'll ever be in Mechanicsburg again to be somewhere between very remote and non-existant. There aren't many places I've been that I can say that about. Even Camp Chatuga in Mountain Rest, SC, where we went for high school football camp, is a place that I might see again at some point, just for sentimental value. I left a part of myself there, and whenever I get back to Georgia, I wouldn't mind seeing the place again. But Mechanicsburg? It's just hard to envision a scenerio that will take me there again.

I left a part of myself there. I made some changes to my routine when I got back to Seattle that I've haven't let go of, so there's that, but even beyond that, with all the experiences there, I know that I left a part of myself behind. And that's fine.

Thinking back on it, and I know it sounds stupid, but I almost wonder if that place even really exists. I'll never see it again I'm sure. Of course I know that there is literally a town there called Mechanicsburg, that's not what I'm saying. It's more abstract than that. That place, as I knew it, might not really be there anymore.

This isn't about anything other than Mechanicsburg. That Scissor Sisters song just got me to thinking about it.

I'll write something funnier later on.

No comments: