Tuesday, June 5, 2007

A great day to whoop somebody's ass

Want to know one way to piss me off? Get me intrigued about moving into your apartment complex, only to tell me that I make TOO MUCH money to live there.

Today is June 5, so I still have time, but I'm starting to feel some pressure about finding a new place. I gave my current apartment complex written notice today that I'll have my happy ass out by June 30. I need somewhere to go.

I am looking at a place tomorrow, and three places on Friday. I also have some calls into some other places that I really like a lot. So it's not like there's nothing out there, but I just don't like the uncertainty of not knowing where I'm going to go.

It's also very expensive to live in Seattle, especially the parts where I want to live. I can't afford to pay $1,400 a month for an apartment and maintain the flexibility to do the things I want in my off time. No place is worth is so much that you have to spend practically every moment there.

I have found some places in the $900s or even $800s, and I can swing that. I've been scouring Craigslist really hard the last few days, and there are some good leads there. I just got really angry looking for places online just now though. I found this place on apartments.com.... It wasn't my first choice for neighborhoods, so I don't suppose it is that heartbreaking, but still. I'm reading the description for this place and I'm thinking "wow, those are some great prices..." Dirt cheap deposits too. And then, down at the bottom, I see "income restrictions apply." To move into this place and live by yourself, you must earn LESS than $32,700.

Just how screwed up is this country when there is a mandate that you must be BELOW a certain to income limit to move into a private residental establishment?

There are a lot of things that I like about Seattle. The very first time I came here, I said "wow, I can see how this city would really get into your blood." When I had to choose a branch office to go with Amica with last October, Seattle was really my only choice. I don't regret that now, certainly not. And while it's not "in my blood" right now, I still see how it could be one day. But one of the things that I don't like about this place and that I've never liked about it is this overwhelming leftist influence. I knew what I was getting into here, but it still flashes at me sometimes and makes me angry. Today was one such day.

One a different note, I was talking to the people in my current leasing office today about moving out. The lease lady asked "What is going on with your neighbors?".... I found her question funny, because I probably have more grounds to complain about them than anyone, because of my apartment's proximity to theirs, and I haven't said a word. Not because I'm spineless or anything, but just because I don't like to bitch about stuff. But she asked the question, and I answered it, explaining that they were very loud, that people were usually coming and going from their apartments at all hours, that they slam doors and stand on the landing and yell at each other, and that they fight with each other a lot. The lease lady took it all in with very little surprise and said "Yeah, we've had some complaints. We've told the police about them."

To which I replied "Well, there's certainly no lack of police activity around here."


This will work out. It always does.

No comments: