Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Nightmare on West Peachtree Street

I don't know why I felt this was necessary, although I suppose that the follow up would answer the question.

He was wearing a blue hat and riding a bicycle in front of the High Museum of Art, moving right to left as a stared at him from my apartment balcony. Lifting my 30.06 rifle to my right shoulder and holding it with my left hand, I put the iron sight on him. The tip of the rifle was very steady and I was calm. I squeezed the trigger, the rifle fired, but nothing happened. He was not knocked off of his bicycle and not affected in the least. I didn't fire a second shot, rather, went back inside my apartment. I don't know why.

About 10 minutes later, I noticed a ladder resting on the outer half of the balcony rail. I walked outside to see that the ladder extended down to a balcony two floors below mine. I didn't think much of it and walked back inside.

A few minutes later, I walked back outside. I don't know why, I just did. I looked down the ladder to see the guy with the blue hat climbing up. He was very deliberate and methodical. He didn't miss a step. I walked back inside. I don't know why.

Several seconds later, I looked up to see him climbing off of the ladder and onto the balcony.

I said out loud, "He's going to kill me."

I ran for the door and attempted to lock it behind me. I don't know why. It's not like he can't unlock it from the inside. I could feel him pulling the door open as I attempted to hold it shut. Looking down the hall, I figured I had two options. I could go for the elevator or the stairs. As time was quite a consideration, I went for the stairs. As I sprinted for the door to the stairwell. I could feel him behind me. If I could just get down one flight of stairs I could, theoretically, lose him.

I'm sprinting down the first row of stairs when I hear the door swing open behind me. "He saw me" I think to myself, and I think again "This man is going to kill me."

I'm almost down one floor when I hear him yell "HEY PEACOCK." I freeze, dead in my tracks, and look up. We lock eyes.

And then I woke up.

No comments: